Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Fire kills octogenarian, grandchild

12 June 2013, 16:41

Lagos - A fire caused by a cooking stove has burnt to death an 82-year-old man, Mr Samuel Adeola, and his 12-year-old granddaughter, Mariam, in their residence near Lagos.

The Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos on Tuesday.

He said that the incident occurred on Monday when Mariam was cooking with the stove on the passageway of the victims’ residence at No. 18, Bailey Street, Agbado Crossing, a border of Ogun with Lagos.

The director said that the stove exploded at about 2:52p.m., when Mariam attempted to put more kerosene into it.

Fadipe told NAN that the girl ran to her grandfather in one of the rooms as the fire spread to all parts of the four-room bungalow.

"Other people in the building said they did not know that the grandfather was inside the room while the fire was on.

"They claimed they saw him going out to read newspapers some hours before the incident.

"At the time our men got to the scene, they were already burnt to death.

"We kick against people cooking on the passageway of a house. It is dangerous. It is also dangerous to refuel a generator or stove while it is on.

"People should cook in the kitchen and keep away from home inflammable substances," Fadipe said.

The Public Relations Officer, Ogun State Police  Command, Muyiwa Adejobi, confirmed the incident, adding that the corpses had been deposited at a public mortuary.

Adejobi advised members of the public to avoid anything that could cause fire outbreak.

 - NAN

Tags ogun lagos

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...