Sabongari - No fewer than 300 shops were destroyed following outbreak of fire at Katako Market, Sabongari area of Zaria in Kaduna State on Sunday.
It has been reported that the fire, which lasted for about five hours, started at about 3h30 and was put out at about 8h30.
Alhaji Abubakar Bagobiri, Chairman, Sabongari Marketers' Association, described the incident as pathetic.
Bagobiri said security personnel on guard at the market told him that it was caused by electricity problem.
“I was told that the fire was caused by electric spark which subsequently engulfed the market”, he said.
Bagobiri appealed to Kaduna State Government, State Emergency Management Agency and National Emergency Management Agency to come to the aid of the affected traders.
“Goods worth millions of naira were lost in this ugly incident, hence the need for government, non-governmental organisations and individuals to come to the aid of the affected traders,” he said
While praying for God's protection against recurrence, the chairman appealed to the affected shop owners to accept it as the will of God and look unto Him for assistance.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!