Ibadan - Property worth millions of naira were burnt in a fire incident which razed a story building at Ogunpa Market on Wednesday night.
A News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) correspondent, who was at the scene on Thursday morning, reports that smoke was still smouldering from the ruins of the building while burnt items littered the area.
The cause of the fire, which began at about 7:30 pm, could not be ascertained although one of the victims alleged arson.
A victim, Bamidele Alao, told NAN at the scene of the incident that he suspected arson as the usual power surge was ruled out.
NAN gathered that the building was not connected to electricity source as at the time of the incident.
`` I don’t know what would have caused the fire outbreak other than the fact that it was burnt down by some aggrieved persons who were not happy that the building was spared during the demolition exercise at Ogunpa,’’ Alao said.
NAN gathered that the storey building, popularly known as Ruth Complex, had several shops which were all burnt inspite of the efforts of firemen who battled the inferno overnight.
It would be recalled that the Oyo State Environmental Task Force had pulled down structures close to the Ogunpa channelisation project, leaving out the complex.
Mr Ibrahim Ajibola, a dealer in clothes, told NAN that he lost N2 million to the fire, adding that only government’s intervention could help reduce the debt of victims.
Another trader, Adeosun Ojo, told NAN that his estimated loss to the inferno was about N1.8 million.
`` I don’t know where to start from,’’ said Ojo, who sold farming implements in the building.
Some markets in Ibadan metropolis such as Oke Padi, Gbagi and Ifeleye had lately recorded fire incidents.