Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Fire razes down shops in Umuahia

27 March 2015, 21:36

Umuahia - An early morning fire on Friday destroyed five shops and goods worth millions of naira in Umuahia.

The fire started at about 2 a.m. at a popular pepper soup and beer joint, situated a few metres away from the Isi Court Police Post, on the outskirts of the city.

Master Hilary Samuel, whose mother’s shop was affected, said that they received the information about
the fire incident when they came back from a night vigil in church.

"We went for a night vigil in the church and when we returned this morning, we received a call that our
shop has been burnt by fire,’’ Samuel said.

He explained that they lost everything that they had in the shop, including clothing materials and cash worth more than N100,000.

Also read: Fire guts ASCON petrol station in Lagos

Another victim, who identified himself simply as Mr Egwuonu, said that he received a call early this morning that his shop was on fire.

Egwuonu, who has two shops at the place, thanked God that his second shop was not affected due to the intervention of Good Samaritans and the fire service, which helped to put out the fire.

"When I rushed down to this place, I saw neighbours and military men on patrol, struggling to put out
the fire,’’ he said.

He, however, expressed regret that he lost several thousands of naira in the inferno.

The pepper soup joint was completely razed down, while charred remains of two big deep freezers, a gas cylinder, a standing fan and crates of assorted drinks and bottles were found littered in the shop.

The owner of the joint, identified as ‘Lady B’, was not available for comments but it was suspected that the fire was caused by a gas explosion in the kitchen.



Tags abia fire

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...