Otun-Ekiti - A middle-aged man, identified as Jimoh Obembe, was swept away and killed by flood in Otun-Ekiti, in Moba Local Government Area of Ekiti.
The deceased was said to be an operator of commercial tricycle popularly referred to as Keke NAPEP.
An eye witness account explained that he was returning home after the heavy downpour on Monday night when the flood over powered him and his tricycle at a dilapidated bridge.
The eye witness revealed, on condition of anonymity, that the area became flooded after a down pour that lasted several hours.
Also read: Drainage system kills four in Delta
The disaster occurred barely 48 hours after the Governor Ayo Fayose of Ekiti had warned the residents of the state to shun indiscriminate dumping of refuse in drains and water ways to prevent flooding.
The governor had given the warning when he inaugurated the state's erosion control project at Ilawe-Ekiti.
The State Deputy Governor, Dr Kolapo Olushola, later paid a sympathy visit to the town and its traditional ruler, Oba Adedapo Popoola.
The deputy governor who was accompanied on the visit by the Commissioner for Environment, Chief Bisi Kolawole and Speaker of the State House of Assembly, Kola Oluwawole, warned against continued blockade of drains and other water channels across the state with refuse.
He said that the state government had already identified all flood prone areas with a view to guide against future flooding.