Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Foreigners kidnap: Firm evacuates staff

18 February 2013, 13:23

 Kano - A construction company has evacuated all of its staff from a northern Nigeria site after gunmen blasted into the facility and kidnapped seven foreigners, residents told AFP on Monday.

Police in Bauchi state, where the attack occured late on Saturday, said their top priority was securing the release of the hostages, who reportedly include four Lebanese, one Briton, a Greek citizen and an Italian.

The raid on the compound of the Lebanese-owned firm Setraco was one of the worst attacks targeting expatriates in northern Nigeria in recent years and may indicate a changing strategy by the radical Islamic groups in the region.

Boko Haram Islamists, who are blamed for hundreds of deaths since 2009, have repeatedly attacked Bauchi, but have never acknowledged abducting a Westerner.

A group seen as an offshoot of Boko Haram, Ansaru, claimed the kidnapping of a French national in December and some analysts fear this splinter faction has prioritised foreign hostages, like other al-Qaeda-linked groups in North Africa.

The kidnapping of expatriates have typically occurred in Nigeria's oil-rich south, with the hostages released following a ransom payment.

Residents in the town of Jama'are, about 200km from the state capital, said 12 vehicles arrived at the Setraco facility on Sunday and evacuated all the staff, excluding those native to the town.

Main priority

It was not immediately clear how many of the remaining workers were foreign and an official at Setraco's office in Nigeria's capital declined to comment, also refusing to provide contacts for the company spokesperson.

"Now all the company employees, who are not from Jama'are have left. Soldiers and policemen are conducting patrols in the town," said resident Haruna Garba.

The assailants stormed a police station and a prison in Jama'are before raiding the Setraco compound, police said.

When the kidnapping operation began the assailants struggled to gain access to the site, then shot dead a security guard and used explosives to blast a hole through the rear gate, residents and police said.

"There was a gaping hole... because the kidnappers used explosives to blow up the rear when the occupants refused to open the gate," said Sale Nagaidam, who visited the site on Sunday and witnessed the heavy security deployment.

Bauchi's police spokesperson Hassan Auyo told AFP on Monday that it was too early to speculate on who was behind the attacks.

"Our main priority now is to secure the release of the hostages," he said, adding that a manhunt had been launched.

Several residents said that Setraco had last year evacuated its foreign staff from the Jama'are site following a rise in deadly attacks blamed on Boko Haram and that the expatriates returned to the region about four months ago.

No claim of responsibility

The governments of Greece and Italy have confirmed that their citizens were among those taken hostage.

Beirut has acknowledged that two Lebanese nationals were seized, but has not matched the police figure of four, while the British foreign office has said it is making "enquiries" before confirming that a Briton was abducted.

There was no claim of responsibility for the weekend violence, but attention will likely turn to the emerging group Ansaru, which said it kidnapped a French engineer in the northern state of Katsina late last year.

As a justification for the abduction, Ansaru cited France's backing for a military intervention against Islamist rebels in Mali.

Little is yet known about Ansaru, although many suspect it emerged from a faction within Boko Haram.



Soyinka denies eulogizing Tinubu

27 November 2015, 12:12

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Buhari must investigate the Turke...

A senior adviser to Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan discussed shipments of weapons to Nigeria with the 50% government owned national Turkish airline, according to the leaked conversation. Read more...

Submitted by
Samson Chinedu Nwafor
Ebonyi govt budgets N3bn to rehab...

Ebonyi state government said it has budgeted three billion naira for the rehabilitation of natives of the state who are hawking in major cities across the country. Read more...

Submitted by
Samson Chinedu Nwafor
Pro-Biafra agitators reject South...

MASSOB, one of the Biafra secessionist groups on Wednesday rejected the Southeast Governors' resolutions arguing that they did not address the major issue behind their agitation.  Read more...

Submitted by
Don Tommy
Nnamdi Kanu - Beyond the propagan...

For anyone following events in Nigeria today, some of the things easily heard are Nnamdi Kanu and Radio Biafra was preaching hate but not too many take time to look at the message in detail. Read more...

Ohanaeze Ndigbo and the renewed s...

So even the leadership of our so-called Ohanaeze Ndigbo still lives and shares in the illusion that Biafra died in 1970?  Read more...

Submitted by
Hussain Obaro
Prince Abubakar Audu: The end of ...

Negative or positive, Prince Audu has done his bit on earth and he is gone to face the ultimate judgment of his creator. Read more...