Lagos - Reports that five local government areas in Borno and Yobe States are under the control of terrorists are untrue and misleading, the latter’s governor, Ibrahim Gaidam, has said.
Gaidam’s Director of Press Affairs, Abdullahi Bego, said his principal had been drawn to news reports in several mainstream and online mediathat Gaidam and his Borno State counterpart, Kashim Shettima, had told the National Economic Council meeting, which took place last Wednesday under the chairmanship of Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, that the local government areas in the two states were still under Boko Haram control.
“These reports are misleading and totally out of the purview of the brief that His Excellency Governor Gaidam gave to the National Economic Council regarding the security situation in Yobe State.
Also Read: US condemns use of minors in suicide attacks
While security is still a concern and more work needs to be done, there is not a single local government council in Yobe under the sway or control of the insurgent Boko Haram,” Bego stated.
“In the course of his briefing to the National Economic Council, His Excellency Governor Gaidam has recalled a point in time when two out of the 17 local government areas of the State had come under the pale of Boko Haram. That was several months ago.”
According to Bego, Gaidam had noted, however, that as a result of the gallant and salutary intervention of our nation’s armed forces and other security agencies, those two local government areas, namely Gujba and Gulani, were freed and liberated from insurgent stranglehold.
Bego spoke this past weekend on the eve of a terrorist attack that claimed the lives of about 20 people in the state capital, Damaturu.
- CAJ News