Aabuja - The National Council of State is promising to deliver "some good news" very soon about more than 200 schoolgirls held captive by Boko Haram for nearly three months.
The council, made up of past presidents, state governors and leaders of parliament, is "satisfied the security agents know very well where the girls are located," Governor Godwill Akpabio told reporters at a briefing.
The rescue of the girls was top of the agenda at the meeting, he said, and "military authorities also confirmed that efforts were being made and that very soon we will have good news."
The governor added the question is not whether the girls can be rescued but how to do it without endangering their lives.
He said the council, led by President Goodluck Jonathan and his national security advisers, was left confident that the president and the military are "on top of the situation".
Last week the Defence Ministry reported the detention of a businessman heading a "terrorists' intelligence cell" who it said "participated actively" in the Chibok abductions.
Tuesday's council commended the military and security agents, who have been roundly criticised at home and abroad for their failure to swiftly rescue the girls and to curb an escalating Islamic uprising by Boko Haram that has killed thousands.
This year the extremists have launched a two-pronged strategy of bombings in cities and towns and a scorched-earth policy in villages where they kill residents, set huts and shops aflame and steal livestock and food supplies. Hundreds of thousands of people have been made homeless.