Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.

 

Gov. Orji threatens to sack non-performing contractors

24 January 2013, 07:30

Umuahia - Gov. Theodore Orji of Abia has threatened to revoke any contract that fails to meet government’s expectations on quality delivery.

Orji issued the threat during an interaction with the contractors and an appraisal of their contracts at the Government House, Umuahia on Wednesday.

He urged the contractors, handling road projects in different parts of the state to increase their pace for greater impact before the rainy season.

He charged them to remain on site even when government delayed their payment, stressing that he would have no alternative but to terminate the contract of any abandoned projects.

"I do not want us to get to that level because the devil you know is better than the angel you don’t know," he said.

The governor expressed his commitment toward the rehabilitation of roads in the state, saying that he preferred to execute the projects during the dry season.

"I do not work on roads during the rainy season that is why I decided to block my ears with big stick even if Aba residents decide to cry aloud.

"So I want to see the much I can achieve before the rainy season comes," he added.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the contractors, numbering at least 17, took turns to explain the extent of work so far done on their respective projects.

They also listed some of the problems facing them, including the lack of contractual agreement and documentation from the government.

One of them, Mr Davis Obioma, explained that he was bothered that in spite of the magnitude of work already done, there is no documentation, no contract letter or agreement.

Obioma said that he paid several millions of naira for the necessary legal documentations and had completed one of the contracts, while the second had reached 95 per cent completion.

The governor directed the Commissioner for Works, Chief Kingsley Mgbeahuru, to intervene in getting the necessary contract documents for them.

Orji, who said that he regularly embarked on an inspection of the projects, expressed satisfaction with the quality of job so far done.

- NAN

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Buhari strongly accuses own servi...

Nigeria's president Muhamamdu Buhari has accused his army chiefs of failing in the response to the abduction of over 200 girls from a school in Chibok last April.  Read more...

Submitted by
Dr. Brimah calls for the arrest o...

Dr. Peregrino Brimah has begun a campaign for the arrest of serving Borno State governor, Kashim Shettima. Read more...

Submitted by
Abidemi Isaac
The rise of terrorism in Calabar

Cross River State, (The Paradise City) has a population of about 3,337,517 (2011, PC) with her capital sited in Calabar.  Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Corruption and terror accompanies...

But as much as I wish to be temperate and political, refraining from releasing this article while Nigeria’s president Muhammadu Buhari makes this hallmark trip. Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
It is time to change Nigeria’s na...

We are indeed at a point of re-birth. Nigeria strayed for most of its past years since inception and was known for most things not too good.  Read more...

In defence of Radio Biafra

It is quite surprising how all of a sudden the so-called illegal Radio Biafra is increasingly becoming a source of serious concern to the government of President Muhammadu Buhari. Read more...