Abuja - A five-hour closed door meeting between Federal Government and striking health workers on Monday ended inconclusively.
The Minister of Labour and Productivity, Emeka Wogu, who briefed newsmen shortly after the meeting, said the meeting would continue at 8 a.m. on Aug. 27.
He said that this became necessary, following the inability of the parties to address all the issues in contention.
Wogu said that there was hope that the strike would be called off soon as some of the issues had been addressed conclusively.
"The meeting is continuing, not deadlocked. There is hope that workers will go back to work.
"Government and the union are desirous of bringing this strike to an end,” he said.
NAN recalls that the Federal Government had gone into a closed-door meeting with representatives of the Joint Health Staff Union (JOHESU) to resolve issues that led to the strike.
In attendance at the meeting were Wogu, the Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, and the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Bukar Aji,
Others include representatives of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Trade Union Congress and JOHESU.
JOHESU had proceeded on the indefinite strike from 12 midnight on Aug. 21, following the inability of the Federal Government to resolve some issues between it and health workers.
On July 22, JOHESU issued a 21-day ultimatum to the Federal Government to implement the recent ruling by the National Industrial Court on the 2009 agreement between the union and government.