Abuja - A trial in which three individuals and a company are facing charges of initiating a N1.8 billion subsidy scam suffered a setback when the defence team failed to turn up.
Mahmud Tukur, Ochonogor Alex, Abdullahi Alao and Eterna Oil Plc were present in an Abuja Court to answer to the charges.
However, when the matter was called up, Economic and Financial Crime Commission counsel, Rotimi Jacob, told the court that the defence team, led by Wole Olanipekun and Tayo Oyetibo, had earlier written a letter demanding an adjournment.
Jacob turned down the request.
Addressing the court, Jacob said that the defence team failed to show up in court despite the reply to their letter opposing their request.
Nonetheless, counsel to the third defendant, Badewole, was present in court.
The Presiding Judge, Justice Lawal Akapo then adjourned the matter to November 6 for mention.
Tukur, Alex, Alao and Eterna Oil Plc. were alleged to have fraudulently obtained N1.8 billion from the Federal Government through the Petroleum Support Fund.
They are facing nine charges such as obtaining money through false pretence, forgery and contravening the Criminal Code.
- CAJ News