Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Gunmen kidnap six in Nigeria

17 February 2013, 18:06

Kano - Gunmen kidnapped seven foreigners and killed a security guard when they stormed the compound of Lebanese construction company Setraco in northern Nigeria's Bauchi state early on Sunday, police said.

Those abducted were a Briton, an Italian, a Greek and four Lebanese workers, including two women, police and local government officials said.

This was the worst case of foreigners being kidnapped in the mostly-Muslim north of Africa's most populous country since an insurgency by Islamist militants intensified nearly two years ago.

No one took responsibility for the raid but northern Nigeria is plagued by attacks and kidnappings by Islamist groups. Al Qaeda-aligned group Ansaru, which rose to prominence only in recent months, claimed the kidnap in December of a French national who is still missing.

Bauchi Police Chief Mohammed Ladan said the gunmen attacked a police station and a prison overnight before storming the construction firm's compound in the town of Jama'are.

"We repelled the attack on the police station and the security men at the prison yard also repelled the attack, but they burnt two vehicles in Jama'are police station," Ladan said.

"They then attacked Setraco construction, killed a local security guard and they succeeded in kidnapping people."

Police said they were intensifying efforts to track down the kidnappers in the areas around Jama'are, a remote town around 300 miles northeast of the capital Abuja. Setraco did not respond to requests for comment.

The Italian and Greek foreign ministries confirmed that one of their nationals was taken in the raid. Britain said it was investigating.

Islamist group Ansaru's full name is Jama'atu Ansarul Musilimina Fi Biladis Sudan, which roughly translates as "Vanguards for the Protection of Muslims in Black Africa".

It claimed responsibility for a dawn raid on a major police station in the Nigerian capital last year, where it said hundreds of prisoners were released. Last month, it attacked a convoy of Nigerian troops en route to deployment in Mali.


The group said the abduction of the Frenchman last year was motivated by France's ban of the full-face veil and its support for military action against Islamist insurgents in Mali.

Kidnapping of foreigners for ransom has been common in Nigeria's southern oil region for years but abductions by radical Islamists in the north began only last year.

Britain in November put Ansaru on its official "terrorist group" list, saying it was aligned with al Qaeda and was behind the kidnap of a British and a Italian killed last year during a failed rescue attempt.

Ansaru is thought to have loose ties to Boko Haram, which has killed hundreds during a three-year-long insurgency focused mostly on Nigerian security forces, religious targets and politicians, rather than foreigners.

Boko Haram wants to carve out an Islamic state in a country of 160 million split roughly equally between Christians and Muslims. It poses the biggest threat to stability in Africa's top oil-producing state.

Attackers slit the throats of three North Korean doctors, killing them in their apartment in Boko Haram's northeast stronghold town of Maiduguri last week.

Gunmen on motorbikes shot dead nine health workers who were administering polio vaccinations in two separate attacks in the biggest northern city Kano this month. No group has taken responsibility for the attack.

President Goodluck Jonathan has repeatedly said that the military are winning the battle against what he calls "terrorism" in northern Nigeria.

But Western governments are increasingly concerned about Islamists in Nigeria linking up with groups outside the region, including al Qaeda's North African wing AQIM, especially given the insecurity in nearby Mali.

France intervened in Mali last month as Islamist forces, which hijacked a rebellion by ethnic Touareg MNLA separatists to seize control of the north in the confusion following a military coup in March 2012, pushed south towards the capital Bamako.

Around 4,000 French troops, backed by the Malian army and several thousand troops from other African states, including hundreds from Nigeria, have driven the Islamist alliance into the remote northeast mountains.

- Reuters



Buhari to decide on $5.2B MTN fine

27 November 2015, 07:02

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Samson Chinedu Nwafor
Ebonyi govt budgets N3bn to rehab...

Ebonyi state government said it has budgeted three billion naira for the rehabilitation of natives of the state who are hawking in major cities across the country. Read more...

Submitted by
Samson Chinedu Nwafor
Pro-Biafra agitators reject South...

MASSOB, one of the Biafra secessionist groups on Wednesday rejected the Southeast Governors' resolutions arguing that they did not address the major issue behind their agitation.  Read more...

Submitted by
Don Tommy
Nnamdi Kanu - Beyond the propagan...

For anyone following events in Nigeria today, some of the things easily heard are Nnamdi Kanu and Radio Biafra was preaching hate but not too many take time to look at the message in detail. Read more...

Ohanaeze Ndigbo and the renewed s...

So even the leadership of our so-called Ohanaeze Ndigbo still lives and shares in the illusion that Biafra died in 1970?  Read more...

Submitted by
Hussain Obaro
Prince Abubakar Audu: The end of ...

Negative or positive, Prince Audu has done his bit on earth and he is gone to face the ultimate judgment of his creator. Read more...

Submitted by
Samson Chinedu Nwafor
Ebonyi college workers allege unl...

The crisis rocking the Ebonyi State College of Education Ikwo, has taken a new twist for the worse, as the management of the college has allegedly resorted to summary dismissal of some workers believed to be 'thorns' in its flesh.  Read more...