Gusau - The Zamfara Government said on Wednesday that gunmen had killed more than 390 villagers in the the last 20 months as a result of incessant attacks on villages in the state.
Governor Abdul'aziz Yari disclosed this in Gusau when the Senate Joint Committee on National Security called on him.
Yari, who was represented by the Speaker of the State House of Assembly, Sunusi Rikiji, said that the state experienced one of the highest security challenges in the northern part of the country in recent times.
"In the past, we have enjoyed peaceful coexistence among all our people in this state and also in the whole northern states, but now, you hear of killings taking place on a daily basis which calls for joint efforts by all to guard against the situation'', he said.
According to the governor, out of the 14 local government areas of the state, only six have so far not been attacked by the gunmen.
Yari commended the Federal Government for improving security in the state, saying ''we have continued to enjoy peace,especially within the last 10 days''.
He, therefore, assured members of the committee of maximum support and cooperation to ensure success of their assignment.
Earlier, the Chairman, of the committee, Muhammadu Magoro, said they were in the state to interact with the government, traditional rulers, security agencies and also visit some of the affected areas.
Magoro called for support and cooperation from all stakeholders to find ways of ending the crisis.
The committee comprises members of the Senate committees on Army, Police and Interior.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page.