Kano - Gunmen, suspected to be Boko Haram militants, have killed dozens of people, mostly Christians, in a village in Borno State, an official and residents said on Sunday.
"They killed many many people in the attack late on Saturday. From the latest information I have gathered, more than 60 people have been killed," the local government chairperson in the area, Maina Ularamu, told AFP.
Ularamu, who spoke to AFP from Abuja, said the toll which he gathered from residents of the village of Izghe in troubled Borno state still had to be verified.
The residents had fled the scene of the carnage.
"We suspect that the gunmen were members of Boko Haram. They have taken over the village," he said. "They looted businesses and food stores and loaded all their spoils into vehicles owned by residents and fled into the bush."
The attack made hundreds of villagers homeless, he said, adding that he was about to return to the state capital Maiduguri to face the security and humanitarian challenges created by the raid.
Boko Haram militants early last week killed 43 people in the villages of Konduga and Wajirko, also in Borno state, in attacks that triggered the exodus of hundreds of villagers to Maiduguri.
For the latest on
national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and
like our Facebook page!