Lagos - The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria said that 10 more bodies were identified, raising the death toll of the Hajj stampede in Saudi Arabia from 54 to 64, Nation reports.
244 pilgrims were said to be missing while the number of the injured also increased to 71 from 61 that was previously announced.
The commission’s Public Affairs Director, Uba Mana said that of the 64 dead pilgrims, 46 were transported to Saudi Arabia by state pilgrims’ welfare agencies and 18 by private tour operators.
Also read: Sultan calls for investigation of Saudi stampede
Mana also said 12 of the 71 injured pilgrims were transported to Saudi Arabia by tour operators and 59 by state pilgrims’ welfare agencies.
He said the deceased were from Adamawa,Bauchi, Borno, Ekiti, Jigawa, FCT, Cross River, Gombe, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Kaduna, Kwara, Nasarawa, Niger, Ogun, Ondo, Plateau, Rivers Sokoto, Yobe, Taraba, and Zamfara.
Last Thursday’s stampede occurred on the way to the Jamrat complex (stoning site) in Mina.
The Saudi authorities have declared that no fewer than 749 pilgrims died; 805 others were injured.
Read more at Nation
- News 24