Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


JTF decries proliferation of Illegal refineries

04 August 2013, 15:35

Yenagoa - The Joint Military Task Force(JTF) in the Niger Delta, has decried the proliferation of illegal refineries in the area, describing  the refineries as "flagrant waste of the nation’s resources’’.

The Media Coordinator of the JTF, code-named, “Operation Pulo Shield”, Lt.-Col. Onyema Nwachukwu, made the statement in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Yenagoa on Sunday.

Nwachukwu said  that only about 40 per cent of crude oil being stolen from pipelines and other sources in the area was being utilised by the illegal refineries.

According to him, operators of the illegal refineries merely convert only about 40 per cent of the crude they steal from the system into automated gas oil, otherwise known as diesel and discharge the remaining 60 per cent into the environment.

“They just throw the unused crude into the waters and it is a lot of waste, which takes a negative toll on the environment and when you see any of the illegal distillation points, the vegetation shows that the area is toxic.

“This is in addition to depriving the nation of oil revenue. This explains why we remain resolute in our operations against oil thieves and vandals of oil facilities in the Niger Delta,” Nwachukwu said.

He explained that the swampy mangrove terrain and often inaccessible creeks had given the operators of the illicit oil business some cover “and it has continued to pose a big logistics challenge to our operations”.

He, however, said that the JTF was determined to policing the creeks and waterways as well as protecting oil facilities, adding that officers and men would check the nefarious activities of pipeline vandals and oil thieves.

“The robust organisation and tactical deployment of JTF in the Niger Delta has been its key strategy in the fight against oil theft particularly in tackling the big oil thieves who employ ocean-going vessels in the illicit trade. 

 “The JTF is divided into five sectors to cover the nine oil producing states with about 6,000 kilometres network of pipelines, spreading from Ondo, Edo, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Abia and Imo States.”  

He said that troops in the states were conducting continuous land and marine patrols to ward off thieves from oil and gas facilities across the region.

According to him, the operations are aimed at preventing and intercepting oil thieves at the oil wells, pipelines or flow stations, during the transportation of the stolen crude and at the distribution points.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...