Maiduguri - The Joint Task Force (JTF) on Operation Restore Order (ORO), said on Thursday that it had shot dead a suspected Boko Haram commander, Mr Ibn Saleh Ibrahim, after an operation in Maiduguri.
This is contained in a statement signed by the JTF spokesman, Lt.-Col. Sagir Musa, in Maiduguri.
"In a sustained follow-up operation, the combined troops of the JTF, the State Security Service (SSS), supported by armoured personnel carriers conducted a major offensive operation in Maiduguri.
"The operations took place at Ngarnam, Bulabulim and Bayern Quarters against insurgent terrorists," Musa said.
He said that during the offensive, a major commander of the Boko Haram terrorists group in charge of the North West and North East, Ibrahim was killed.
"Ibrahim was killed with some of his foot soldiers."
He alleged that the deceased commander had been confirmed to be responsible for the recent killing of Nigerian Civil War hero, Maj.-Gen. Mohammadu Shuwa in Maiduguri.
"Several weapons, ammunitions and Improvised Explosive Devise (IEDs) were recovered during the operation.
"The operation is still ongoing to get other terrorists in hiding."