Maiduguri - The Joint Task Force (JTF) on Operation Restore Order (ORO) said on Sunday it repelled an attack by suspected Boko Haram terrorists on the military barrack in Munguno, Borno.
Munguno is about 200 km from Maiduguri, about two hours drive from the capital.
"Information available to JTF indicated that some suspected terrorists attempted to attack a military barrack in Munguno, headquarters of Munguno Local Government Area of Borno State on Sunday.
"The attack was repelled by the JTF troops at the outskirt of the barracks,'' JTF spokesman Lt.-Col. Sagir Musa, stated in a statement in Maiduguri.
He said that 20 of the attackers were killed during exchange of fire with the soldiers.
"The encounter led to the death of 20 suspected Boko Haram terrorists.
"Three four-wheel drive vehicles and eight motor cycles used by the suspects were destroyed and several arms and ammunition were recovered.
"The following items were recovered, seven AK 47 rifles, 10 rocket propeller grenade, two RPG Tubes, large quantities of assorted ammunition and eight assorted magazines," he said.
Musa said that the JTF had also arrested suspected masterminds of last week’s bomb blasts in Maiduguri.
"In a related development, based on intelligence reports, a special operation was conducted by the JTF which resulted in the arrest of two suspected high profile commanders of the Boko Haram sect in Maiduguri.
"Those arrested were suspected to be responsible for the Feb. 28 explosions which coincided with the Progressive Governors’ meeting in Maiduguri," Musa said, adding that the two suspects were being interrogated.