Abuja - President Goodluck Jonathan has assured the global community of the safety of participants in next month’s World Economic Forum on Africa in Abuja.
Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity Reuben Abati disclosed the assurance in a statement.
According to Abati, the President gave the assurance at an audience with China’s new Ambassador to Nigeria, Gu Xiaojie who presented his letters of credence to the President at the Presidential Villa on Thursday.
“President Jonathan said that the security challenges being experienced in parts of the country will have no adverse effect on the safety of participants in the forum.”
He said the President welcomed the confirmation by China that its delegation to the Forum, which will bring together regional and global leaders to discuss innovative structural reforms and investments that can sustain the continent’s current growth trajectory and create jobs, will be led by Premier Li Keqiang.
“I am quite pleased that the Premier of the People’s Republic of China has confirmed that he is coming. We will be addressing the World Economic Forum on Africa together. We will also sit down together to discuss shared national interests. We will give all participants a good reception in Abuja. We have faced challenges in the area of security, but we will overcome the situation so that our economy can move forward faster. Participants will not have a problem with security during the summit,” Jonathan is quoted as telling the Chinese Ambassador.
The new Ambassador assured the President of China’s confidence in Nigeria’s security measures and the country’s ability to host the World Economic Forum on Africa successfully.
“From our assessment, we are confident that all is under control and we have relayed that to our people,” Gu Xiaojie is quoted as saying.
The World Economic Forum on Africa is scheduled for May 7-9. It comes amid a spate of terrorism incidents, including the bomb blast that killed more than 70 people outside Abuja last week
– CAJ News