Abuja - President Goodluck Jonathan says fighters from insurgent group Boko Haram have traveled to the Middle East for training with Islamic State militants, Nation reports.
Jonathan declined to name the countries where the fighters were allegedly trained. But in an interview with VOA on Wednesday, he said he’s long suspected Boko Haram of having alliances with international extremist groups.
Also Read: Jonathan fighting Boko Haram to win elections
In the interview, Jonathan credited both the intervention of Nigeria’s neighbours as well as the acquisition of new weapons for turning the tide against the militants.
He hit back at criticisms that foreign troops aren’t being allowed to push into Boko Haram strongholds deep in Nigerian territory. He said Cameroon previously denied Nigeria permission to pursue Boko Haram into its territory, and added that restrictions on foreign troops were matters of coordination.
Read more at Nation
- News 24