Kano - The Kano State Government says it has presented 3,000 houses to victims of last year’s flood disaster in the state.
The state Commissioner for Special Duties, Idris Dambazau, on Thursday in Kano that the gesture was aimed at assisting the victims.
He said the initiative by the state government was to cushion the effect of the disaster on the victims.
Dambazau also said the government decided to resettle the victims in the upper high land areas of the state to prevent recurrence.
Also read: Kano evacuated 500 IDPs from Yobe
"We discovered that some areas are prone to flooding every year due to closeness to the rivers; this is why government decided to relocate the people from such areas.
"Natural disasters are not preventable, but we always take measures to ensure that it does not affect the people by intervening through the State Emergency Relief and Rehabilitation Agency," he said.
He also said that his ministry had done so much in ensuring youth development in the state.
The commissioner expressed optimism that the incoming administration would continue with the development projects initiated by the current government.