Sokoto - Property estimated at hundreds of millions of naira have been destroyed by fire at the popular Kara market in Sokoto.
Some of the items sold at the market included grains, onions, agricultural inputs, wheat offal, kola nuts, generators and spare parts, among others.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) learnt that the fire started at about midnight on Tuesday.
It was said to have been ignited by an electrical spark at a shop opposite the Kofar-Kade gate.
There was, however, no loss of life or injury in the inferno.
The fire was still raging when NAN visited the scene at 6.30a.m. on Wednesday.
Some of the traders were able to salvage some of their wares, while others were seen guarding their property against thieves.
Some traders told NAN that the spark was caused by the restoration of power supply.
On his part, the Director-General of the state Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Hassan Maccido, also told NAN that the State Government would set up a committee to unravel the immediate and remote causes of the fire.