Ilorin - The Kwara Government has suspended two secondary school principals and issued letters of warning to others for overcharging new intakes in their schools.
Alhaji Saka Onimago, the state Commissioner for Education and Human Capital Development, disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Ilorin on Tuesday.
“The Kwara Government has adopted tough measures against school principals in a bid to check excesses of school heads,”' he said.
The commissioner warned principals to desist from overcharging students and adhere strictly to approved levies.
He said that the state government had set up a ''high-powered'' committee headed by the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Education, Alhaji Lamidi Alabi, to look into the matter.
Other committee members include heads of the State Teaching Service Commission and the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB).
The commissioner said the committee was charged with the responsibility of visiting all secondary schools across the 16 local governments to identify school heads flouting government's directive.
He said that the committee had been able to identify many culprits in schools visited so far, adding that some of them were suspended, while others were given letters of warning.
Onimago, who did not want to release the names of the principals, said that the schools charged above the approved N230 for Junior Secondary Schools and N300 for Senior Secondary Schools.