Lagos - Lagos State Government says it has entered an agreement with the Nigerian Customs Service and Nigerian Police Force to enforce the ban on the use of fireworks in the state.
Governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashola, said this while receiving the report the report of a tribunal set up to investigate the causes of firecracker explosion last December.
The blast claimed one person, razed twelve houses and destroyed 11 vehicles.
The governor said the state had intensified measures to ensure people complied.
“There is more work to be done on our part on the report submitted by the tribunal. We will look into the content of the report, accept what we are able to accept and issue a white paper to declare the parts of the report that have been accepted by the government,” Fashola said.
“Due to the nature of the report, we will immediately set up a committee that will include the newly Head of Service (HOS), Josephine Williams to look critically into the report in order to assist the state government to present a white paper on the submitted report,”
Giving insight into the report, Chairman of the tribunal, Justice Sunday Ishola, recommended tightening of measures aimed at curbing a recurrence of last year’s loss.
– CAJ News