Ikeja - The Lagos State Government on Tuesday said it was yet to take a position on the recent directive by the Federal Government that schools across the country should resume on September 22.
Dr Jide Idris, the state Commissioner for Health, made the statement in Ikeja while addressing newsmen on the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in the state.
He said the issue was before the State Executive Council and that government would soon make a pronouncement on whether schools in the state would resume on the date or not.
The Federal Government recently reversed resumption date of schools nationwide to September 22 from the earlier date of October 13 as part of measures to contain the Ebola virus,
Ibrahim Shekarau, the Minister of Education, while announcing the reversal in Abuja, said the government shifted the date backwards as the virus had been significantly contained.
Also read:Lagos to prosecute against Ebola victim stigmatization
The decision has since attracted criticisms from the Nigeria Medical Association and other stakeholders who argued that surveillance of the disease was still ongoing and schools werer not safe yet.
Idris said that although the directive was from the Federal Government, the decision on whether schools in state would comply would be made by state government.
The commissioner said that although government was yet definite on the resumption of schools, the government was already putting in place measures to check the threats of the virus in schools.
Idris said government had met schools proprietors, school heads and teachers on what they should do to eliminate the Ebola threat in their respective schools.
He added that the government was also providing pipe-borne water to schools and constructing toilet facilities to enhance sanitation of schools.
Idris said so far the virus had claimed five lives in the state and that the state government was doing its best to make the state Ebola free.