Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Lagos to destroy Ogba market

21 May 2014, 07:07

Lagos - Members of the Lagos State House of Assembly, have approved the demolition of the Ogba Retail Market.

The demolition of the more than 500 shops paves way for the construction of a modern three-storey market complex by the Ojodu Local Council Development Area.

The demolition approval followed a report of an agreement reached between traders in the market and the council development area.

Bisi Yusuf, Chairman of the Assembly's Committee on Transportation, Commerce and Industry, presented the report that members of the assembly unanimously approved.

The report signed by all the parties involved, is sequel to a petition by the traders in the market alleging that the chairman of the local council, Julius Oloro, had ordered the demolition of the market without consulting with the traders.

The committee began work on the petition in September.

The report, which said the chairman and the traders had now found a common ground, also states that when completed, the prices of the shops would range from N1 million to N5 million with 25 percent rebate for previous shop owners.

The report also recommended that previous shop owners should make 20 percent down payment of the amount for a particular shop while the remaining 80 percent of the amount be spread within a period of two years without interest.

The House also agreed that the new market should accommodate pepper, yam, fish, meat and vegetable sellers as it used to be before the demolition and reconstruction.

While stressing that necessary consideration be given to some shop-owners that once bought containers in the market from the former developer of the market, the report also ordered that the sum of N150 000 should be given to shop owners that do not want to be relocated to containers in the in interim, as compensation.

The committee said it observed that the market needed urgent renovation to meet the state's mega-city status.

The former developer of the market had already sold some spaces in the market, a move traders initially objected.

According to a report, while construction is on, the traders would be relocated to an alternative site close to the market so that they could still retain their customers.

- CAJ News

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page.

Tags lagos

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...