Maiduguri- Some residents of Maiduguri on Sunday commended the Federal Government over the deployment of troops to Borno.
A civil servant, Jonathan Abu, said the security situation in Maiduguri had improved, adding that residents were now free to move around unlike before.
Abu said the military, in conjunction with the Civilian JTF, had succeeded in driving the insurgents from the city centre.
"There is peace now in Maiduguri as we go about our daily business without any harassment or intimidation; we thank the Federal Government for deploying the troops," he said.
A trader, John Anoke, said the security agencies had been doing their best to return peace to the troubled area.
Anoke, who said he had lived in Maiduguri for 15 years, noted that since the military came, the bombings and attacks had been brought under control.
On her part, Fulfilment Akachukwu, said that the military had restored normalcy to the Borno capital.
"We are happy with the military as they are really doing their best for Maiduguri and Borno State,” she said.
A member of the NYSC, Vincent Shebayam, said it was a privilege for him to serve in Maiduguri.
Shebayam said that though it was not easy at first when he was posted to the Borno capital, but he was now at ease with his environment.
"When we first came, there was a little bit of challenge concerning security, but now we are happy that the situation has improved and things are changing.
"The security men are trying their best based on what we are seeing and the information we are given; there is peace in Maiduguri unlike before,” he said.
President Goodluck Jonathan had on May 14 2013 declared a state of emergency in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa.
The president also ordered more troops to be deployed in the area while emergency rule was extended by six months in November, 2013.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page.