Abuja - The Mushin area of Lagos State has been hit by tragedy after a man fell into a soakaway pit while attempting to start a generator.
The incident, which occurred on Sunday, took place when the man attempted to start a generator which was placed on top of the soakaway. The weight from the generator allegedly caused the slab covering the pit to give way, subsequently dropping both the man and the generator inside.
Officials from the Lagos State Fire Service are alleged to have taken five hours to extract the deceased's body from the pit.
Also read: Bafawara donates N10m to victims of fire
According to a PUNCH report, tenants who occupied the man's residence with him often placed a generator on top of the soakaway which caused the slab above it to weaken.
Rasak Fadipe, Director of the Lagos State Fire Service, confirmed the incident and said Joshua Akindele, a fireman, descended into the pit to retrieve the man's body.
Fadipe has warned citizens to avoid using septic tanks as passageways storage facilities for generators.
Read more at PUNCH