Abuja - The Federal Ministry of Environment has urged Nigerians to remove structures capable of blocking drains to forestall disasters, especially in areas prone to flooding.
Dr Moronkeji Oyeleke, the Deputy Director, Erosion, Flood and Coastal Zone Management Department of the ministry, made the appeal in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Thursday in Abuja.
Oyeleke said that the removal of the structures would reduce the loss of lives and property during and after flood disasters.
She explained that flood could not be stopped because rain would continue to fall, but that disasters caused by flooding could be prevented, if adequate precautions were taken.
Oyeleke said that the flooding which occurred on July 7 at Karu, FCT, was caused by negligence, noting that an alert had been issued prior to the incident.
``The Ministry does not only send alert to disaster prone areas but also executes flood control projects to mitigate possible disasters.''
She said that the Federal Government would continue to assist in removing all structures built in most low lying line areas.
According to her, the ministry, at the beginning of every year, often writes to all states to sensitise Nigerians on the adverse effects of flood.
The deputy director said the ministry was planning to instal two Flood Automated Early Warning System devices in each of the 12 River Basin Development Stations.
Oyeleke added that the warning alert on its website was free for everyone to access, adding that it must strictly be adhered to by Nigerians.