Biu - Political leaders in Borno State condemned the deadly bomb attack on the Biu Main Market.
The suicide bomb resulted to the death of eight people and injured at least 20 others.
Speaking to journalists on Friday, Deputy Governor, Zannah Mustapha, said the Islamic militant group had made several attempts to invade Biu without success.
Mustapha said it was disheartening that the sect could wreak such havoc.
He said although the people of Biu and elsewhere in the state had been vigilant, they needed to do more in order to shut out "pockets of success" by the terror group.
“Information at my disposal shows that two little girls were responsible for the attack at the market. I also learnt that eight persons were killed in the attack and 20 persons injured," said Mustapha.
"We on our part as government will give support to the families of those that were killed and help the victims of those lost. But we can only do little as lives lost cannot be brought back,” the deputy governor said.
The official assured the people of the state that the insurgency was running to a close going by the assurances and dedication of the military.
Also read: Female suicide bomber attacks market in Biu
Meanwhile, the governorship candidate of the People's Democratic Party (PDP) in Borno State, Mohammed Imam, on Friday also condemned the bomb attack at the Biu Main Market.
Imam, in a statement by the Chairman of the Media Committee of his campaign, Inuwa Bwala, condemned the attack in its entirety, insisting it was a crime against Nigeria and its people.
He consoled the families of the deceased and prayed for the repose of the souls of the deceased.
The governorship hopeful called on security agents not to rest on their oars until those behind the Biu blast were found and brought to justice.
"The political contest in Borno is not worth the blood of a single individual," he said.
He also called on the people of Biu to remain calm and focused.
“Change in Borno is inevitable and no amount of violence can delay it.”
- CAJ News