Katsina - The Katsina State Government on Monday began the disbursement of N100 million to victims of gunmen attack in Sabuwa and Faskari Local Government Areas of the state.
Unidentified gunmen raided several communities in the two areas, killed 117 persons and injured 37 while 708 were displaced between March 11 and March 12.
Presenting the cheques to families of the deceased and injured persons in Faskari, the Deputy Governor, Abdullahi Garba, said interim relief packages had earlier been distributed to the victims.
According to him, the state government sponsored the treatment of injured persons.
He said a committee, led by Brig. Gen. Maharazu Tsiga, visited all the affected settlements and had direct contacts with the victims.
He urged the beneficiaries to consider the packages as support and not compensation for the lives and properties lost during the incident.
According to him, N520 000 will be given to each family of the deceased and between N100 000 and 280 000 to injured persons.
He said N500 000 and below would be given to persons who lost properties depending on the quantity of the items.
Chairman of the Distribution Committee, Lawal Aliyu, assured of prudence and transparency in the distribution.
He commended the governor for assisting the victims and urged the beneficiaries to be patient during the entire exercise.
The Acting Chairman of Faskari local government, Sale Tsagero, said the council had liaised with the various committee representatives to ensure that right persons obtained the support.
He commended individuals, institutions, groups and government agencies for the support and emphasised his commitment to protection of lives and property in the area.
The displaced persons are from Unguwar Tuje, Unguwar Kaka, Unguwar Tudu, Maiwalki, Hayin Goma, Dukku, Kunwa and Unguwar Doka.