Abuja - The federal government would formally file a criminal case at the International Criminal Court against the Zulu King, King Goodwill Zwelithini, who was believed to have instigated the xenophobic attacks in South Africa through inciting comments, Vanguard reports.
Zwelithini was quoted to have said "Let us pop our head lice. We must remove ticks and place them outside in the sun. We ask foreign nationals to pack their belongings and be sent back,” he reportedly told a cheering crowd.
Addressing a tribal gathering of several thousand Zulus in the port city of Durban the king insisted he had been misrepresented.
Soldiers have been deployed to tackle gangs hunting down and killing foreigners after about seven people had died in violence in the last few weeks.
Also read: Zulu king denies inciting S.Africa anti-immigrant attacks
Meanwhile the Nigerian Senate on Wednesday asked President Jonathan to immediately recall Nigerian High Commissioner to South Africa, for urgent consultation.
This was just as it summoned the Foreign Affairs Minister to appear before it for a possible briefing on, not only the situation, but also measures being taken to safeguard the lives and property of Nigerians in South Africa.
Read more at Vanguard
- News 24