Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Nigerian military reinforces town after Boko Haram massacre

20 September 2013, 13:38

Maiduguri - The military sent reinforcements Friday to the remote northeastern town of Benisheik after Boko Haram Islamists stormed the area, burnt dozens of homes and slaughtered at least 87 people.

The Islamist insurgents were heavily armed and came disguised in military uniforms during the attack late Tuesday, according to survivors and security sources.

They set up roadblocks and opened fire on scores of motorists and travellers who had tried to pass through, leaving some corpses scattered on the roadside after the assault.

The motive for the attack was not immediately clear, but Boko Haram has repeatedly targeted civilians in its four-year insurgency, which the group says is aimed at creating an Islamic state in northern Nigeria.

Army General Mohammed Yusuf told journalists who visited the area that a "full reinforcement" of Benisheik would take place Friday.

A state government official, who requested anonymity, told AFP Friday that those troops were being sent, but details of the deployment were not immediately available.

Benisheik in Borno state has emerged as a new flashpoint in the Boko Haram conflict, with Tuesday's massacre coming after September 8 clashes between Islamists and vigilantes that left 18 people dead.

The extremists have in recent weeks repeatedly targeted vigilante groups which have formed to assist the military.

Saidu Yakubu of Borno's Environmental Protection Agency told journalists who visited the town Thursday that 87 bodies had been discovered after the massacre, but that toll could rise.

An official with the same agency, Abdulaziz Kolomi, told reporters that rescue teams "did not go deep into the bush" in their search for victims.

"I strongly believe many people have fallen there," he said, raising the possibility that more bodies could still be found.

The phone network in Borno has been turned off since mid-May, a tactic the military employed to disrupt communication between the insurgents.

Some have charged that the lack of mobile phones has put civilians at risk because they are unable to call for help amid Boko Haram raids.

Details of attacks have also been difficult to verify with the phone network down.

A security source in Benisheik who asked for anonymity told journalists that the Islamists were armed with "anti-aircraft guns".

He said "they came in droves, driving about 20 pickup trucks" and forced the soldiers to retreat.

Such details are consistent with other reports indicating that Boko Haram has bolstered its arsenal in recent months.

Speaking to AFP Friday, army spokesman Ibrahim Attahiru said "the police were overwhelmed by the attack", but did not comment on reports that military personnel ran out of ammunition and were forced to abandon Benisheik as the insurgents attacked.

The military has insisted that a four-month-old offensive in the northeast has put Boko Haram in disarray, but the recent spate of violence suggests otherwise.

Local media this week reported that Boko Haram had ambushed a group of soldiers, killing 40 with dozens of others missing, although the military disputed that account.

Attacks on defenceless civilians have spiked in recent weeks, including the massacre of dozens of school children and Muslims gathering for morning prayers.

Throughout their four-year insurgency, the Islamists have bombed churches, newspaper offices, a United Nations building and prominent mosques, among other targets.

The conflict is estimated to have killed more than 3,600 people since 2009, including deaths caused by the security forces, who have been accused of major abuses.

But the current toll is likely much higher and the violence has persisted, despite the renewed military efforts.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...