Lagos - Nigerians are skeptical over the announcement by the Joint Task Force that Boko Haram sect leader, Abubakar Shekau, had been killed.
On Monday, JTF proclaimed in a statement the terrorist organization leader died of gunshot wounds he sustained during the invasion of the sect’s Sambisa Forest headquarters in June.
Col. Sagir Musa, spokesman of the JTF, announced Shekau was seriously wounded and was taken to a border community in the nation’s border with Cameroon for treatment.
According to Musa, Shekau was mortally wounded in the encounter and was sneaked into Amitchide, the border community in Cameroon.
Musa also claimed that a recent video released purportedly by the Boko Haram leader last week was a deceit by a member of the sect to convince members to continue with their terror acts.
However, Nigerians are not convinced of Shekau’s demise and asked JTF present evidence to substantiate its claim.
“Nigeria and the whole world would like to see a picture. We need more clarification on this rather than this mumbo jumbo information. It is laughable that the military would make such an announcement without going the extra mile to obtain evidence. This is an unprofessional act by the military and I hope they will redeem themselves from this blunder,” social commentator, Comfort Abey, said.
Ope Aladetola, a student, is not convinced by the JTF announcement.
"I really do not believe that Shekau is dead, more so when even the military does not have real proof. I cannot tell what really the military is up to, but I know that such a matter could have been handled with more caution and with real evidence. The military should have thoroughly investigated this issue and come up with evidence before going to the public,” Aladetola said.
Joel Eke was outspoken on the issue.
“Nigerians are known for a lot of things except telling the truth. It is likely that the Presidency may have paid off Shekau to hide so claim they have captured him and killed him. Anything is possible here in Nigeria,” he said.
– CAJ News