Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.

 

Okah 'planner, funder' of car bombs

21 January 2013, 16:01

Related Stories

Johannesburg - Henry Okah was convicted on 13 charges of terrorist activities by the High Court in Johannesburg on Monday.

"I have come to the conclusion that the State proved beyond reasonable doubt the guilt of the accused," Judge Neels Claassen said when handing down judgment.

"The evidence of all the accomplices that worked with him was not contradicted... I found that [Okah is the] leader, planner, funder, supplier... of car bombs used in Warri in March 2010 and on October 1 2010."

Claassen said Okah's failure to testify meant evidence against him remained uncontested.

Twelve people were killed and 36 injured in the car bombs on 1 October 2010, the anniversary of Nigeria's independence. Okah was arrested in Johannesburg the next day.

He was also found guilty on terrorism charges relating to two explosions in March 2010 in the southern Nigerian city of Warri.

Claassen found no evidence that Okah did not head the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, which claimed responsibility for the blasts.

He was found guilty of engaging in terrorist activities, conspiracy to engage in terrorist activity, and delivering, placing, and detonating an explosive device.

About 34 witnesses were called during the trial.

Great results


Okah denied any involvement in the blasts and said the charges against him were politically motivated.

South Africa tried him as part of its international obligation, as the Nigerian authorities had not applied for his extradition, according to the prosecution.

National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Phindi Louw said the State had "a watertight case against Okah".

The case proved great results could be achieved if law enforcement agencies worked together, Louw said.

State prosecutor Shaun Abrahams said justice had been done. The ruling showed South African and foreign law enforcement agencies could work together.

"There is no safe haven in South Africa."

Abrahams said legislation provided for a minimum sentence of life imprisonment for Okah's crimes.

After the guilty finding, Okah was taken to the court holding cells under heavy police guard.

When his wife became emotional, a friend comforted her. They then left the courtroom.

About 10 police officers were in the court, with another four outside while the case was being heard. The main road in front of the court was also closed.

Sentencing procedures were expected to start on 31 January.

- SAPA

NEXT ON NEWS24 NIGERIAX

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Rotimi Opeyeoluwa
Fayose weill bring about a return...

The speculation had been rife for some time that Abuja, nay the ruling People’s Democratic Party, (PDP), has long concluded plans about capturing the South-West at all cost. Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Letter to 1 mllion youth defraude...

For too long, Nigerians have lacked and missed opportunities of true growth, true strength, true progress, true peace, true prosperity and true national competitiveness. Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Death everywhere: The consequence...

Everywhere we look in Nigeria today and see death; it is not an accident. It is the price the people pay for the corruption of the government.  Read more...

Submitted by
Tque Majolagbe
Much ado about GDP rebasing

Over the years, successive governments in Nigeria have always bamboozled us with great terminologies such as GDP, per capita and other macroeconomic indices. Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Who massacred the Fulani In Keana...

The chronology of the events that lead up to the attack on the Fulani settlement in Nasarawa State which left up to 30 people dead. Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
#XYZMassacre: We want A Revolutio...

Which massacre? Yobe? Borno? Adamawa? Plateau? Katsina? Kaduna? Benue? Nasarawa? The hashtag, “#XYZmassacre” has become the inevitably appropriate marker for the Nigerian holocaust.  Read more...