Abuja - The Federal Government on Tuesday said it would not reveal the operational strategies to rescue the Chibok girls despite agitation by some individuals and groups in the country.
Mike Omeri, the National Coordinator, National Information Centre, stated this when he gave an update on government’s efforts to rescue the girls, after six months in captivity.
Omeri, however, said that some successes had been recorded in the efforts, as well as in the ongoing counter-insurgency operations in the North East.
He said though government was willing to provide credible information on the anti-terror campaign, operational reality does not permit unbridled disclosure of operational plans and strategies … as some agitators have continued to advocate.
Omeri said other plans that cannot be disclosed include day-by-day account of troops’ movement, engagement and deployment of hardware.
The coordinator lamented that in the last 180 days, about 2 000 people, including security personnel and foreigners, had lost their lives as a result of the activities of the terrorists.
He said government was concerned that such number of lives had been lost.
Also read: Abandoned Chibok schoolgirl receiving treatment
Omeri said that the operations to degrade the terrorists command structure to weaken their effectiveness had recorded success.
He said some of the efforts included the successful dispatch of troops to carry out land and aerial surveillance and occasional bombardment of their locations and enlistment of foreigner partners.
Others, he said, were regional collaboration, activities of activist groups such as the BringBackOurGirls and recent diplomatic shuttle by President Goodluck Jonathan to some neighbouring countries as well as outside the continent.
Omeri appealed to Nigerians to support government’s effort to end terrorism in the country, and rescue the girls, rather than distract it.
"The effort at inciting the populace against the government and its agencies is, to say the least, very unfortunate.
"It is necessary to caution those involved that there is a clear difference between credible civil agitation and subversive preoccupations.
"Nigerians must consider it more patriotic to support the efforts than to place it – government - under pressure,’’ he said.
Omeri said what was required was genuine concern rather than political consideration as evident in current agitations.
The BringBackOurGirls group was invited for the Tuesday news conference, but did not honour the invitation.