Ibadan - The transport section of Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) Ibadan Distribution Centre was on Sunday destroyed by fire.
The fire also destroyed the house of ex- international footballer Gbenga Okunowo as well as seven vehicles belonging to PHCN, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
Okunowo told NAN the fire started at 2.30 a.m. from the PHCN building before spreading to his house.
"At about 2.30 a.m. we heard people shouting 'Fire!' and we quickly woke up to see what was happening, only to see that the PHCN building which is close to my house was burning.
"So, my family and I tried to help quench the fire only to see that the fire affected my house, so I had to escape,’’ he said.
Okunowo said he lost everything in the fire and added that he would ask for damages from PHCN.
He blamed the impact of the fire on the late arrival of firemen.
"I have already called the attention of my lawyer so that he can inspect the extent of damage by the fire.
"Other property destroyed by the fire, of which the cause was yet to be determined, includes travelling documents, household items and other relevant documents," Okunowo said.
An eyewitness said the fire started from the transport section of the PHCN building and spread to the canteen within the premises and another building before getting to the footballer’s house.
"I believe that it was an electrical spark that started the fire because there was electricity.
"But we thank God that there was no casualty," the witness said.
The witness debunked the claim of the footballer over the late response of firemen and said "the fire started at about 2. 30 a.m. and the Fire Service arrived at about 3.05 a.m.
"I think it was fair enough but what will happen would definitely happen. Let us just thank God we did not recording any death."
The Public Relations Officer of PHCN, Mr Jide Oyenuga, failed to respond to calls or text messages sent to him on his telephone.