Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


PHCN workers protest non-payment of severance allowance

01 October 2013, 10:25

Minna - Workers of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) on Monday staged a work-to-rule in protest of non-payment of their severance allowance by the Federal Government.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the workers at the Minna Business District in Niger State locked their office main gate at about 8 a.m. to prevent customers from entering to transact any business.

The workers converged outside the office, singing solidarity songs and offered extensive prayers to seek God's intervention over their entitlements before the Federal Government hands over the company to the successful bidders.

Malam Baba Ayuba, the Chairman of the National Union of Electricity Employees of Nigeria (NUEEN) told NAN that the one-day protest was meant to sensitise Nigerians and the investors that the government was yet to fulfil its promise of paying their severance allowances ahead of the hand over.

He said that at the moment, only 25 per cent of the members had been paid their severance entitlement leaving a balance of 75 per cent.

“Most of the workers are asking who will pay them if the company is handed over?”

A customer, Malam Ismaila Mohammed, urged the Federal Government to pay the workers their entitlement as it had promised to avoid any disruption of power supply.

-    NAN



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...