Jos - Security chiefs and stakeholders have agreed on alternative praying grounds for Muslims in Jos during the Eid-el Kabir celebration as part of measures to forestall a breakdown of law and order.
The celebration will be held on October 26.
A communiqué from a pre-event meeting convened to review the security situation ahead of the festivity, said that the ban on the Rukuba Road prayer ground in Jos and another prayer ground in Barkin-Ladi, was still in force.
The communiqué signed by the state’s Police Commissioner Emmanuel Ayeni, said that worshipers from Sabon-Layi, Febuna, Kwanan Shagari and parts of Zinariya would go to Al Muhab or Ali-Kazaure prayer ground.
Similarly, worshipers from NEPA and Kwanan-Soja areas had been advised to go and pray at Kwanan Soja prayer ground, the communiqué added.
Participants at the meeting also stated that the Dogon-Karfe and Namuwa junctions would be closed to traffic during the Sallah prayer, and urged the Plateau Government to hasten plans to provide new prayer grounds to areas still restricted.
They also agreed that leaders of crisis-prone communities would be held liable for any breach of the law in their domains, while inhabitants of such communities were also asked to remain alert and report any strange movement to the security agents.
Divisional Police Officers were also directed to rid their areas of dangerous drug peddlers from whom addicted youths usually get their supply, and warned against any laxity in that respect.
Worshipers were also warned against carrying dangerous weapons to prayer grounds, while security agents were also directed to watch out for inflammatory statements, provocative utterances and other unruly behaviours by worshippers.
Bags were also banned from praying grounds, while those entering such prayer grounds would be thoroughly searched, the communiqué added.