Abuja- An unspecified number of policemen have been declared missing a day after gunmen suspected to be members of notorious Boko Haram sect carried out multiple attacks lunched at Bama town of Borno State.
This was disclosed by the police area commander in the Bama town, Assistant Captain Sagir Abubakar, during a visit of the State Governor, Kashim Shettima, to assess the damage done to the town by the insurgents.
Abubakar said some of his men were still missing including an unnamed District Police Officer (DPO) of the Bama Police Station that was burnt down by the insurgents on Tuesday.
In addition, about 150 widowed women and children mainly of policemen who were killed by the terrorists during the multiples attacks confronted the Shettima over the men's deaths.
Abubakar said the Boko Haram dissidents reluctantly accepted the compensation from the governor.
He said governor Shettima appealed to the women and children, who were gathered at the destroyed headquarters of the 33 Mobile Police Squad, for calm saying vehicles would be provided to take them to their respective home towns.
During the visit, the governor was visibly moved by three young boys who lost both parents during the massacre and immediately offered to adopt them and cater for their well-being.
Shettima, who left Bama with the three boys, also took 20 other persons who were severely injured during the crisis to the state capital, Maiduguri for treatment.
Meanwhile, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) revealed that about 300 persons were internally displaced in the town as a result of the crisis.
Measures had been put in place to establish a camp to accommodate them.
Speaking to journalists on the humanitarian crisis, the Information Officer of the agency, Abdulkareem Ibrahim, said the agency had provided food, accommodation and other household utensils.
He said an assessment team would be sent back to the camp immediately to set up a camp where the internally displaced persons will be settled.
- CAJ News