Potiskum - In spite of the assurances by the Joint Task Force to bring additional troops to beef up security in Potiskum, Yobe, residents have continued to flee the town en mass.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that residents are fleeing the commercial town to other states and Local Government Areas, following series of explosions and gun attacks in which no fewer than 13 people have been killed.
Mr Yusuf Badejo, a resident of the town told NAN that he was moving his family to Badejo Village for fear of molestation by security agents, conducting house-to-house search.
Another resident and staff of the Federal College of Education, who pleaded anonymity, said he was relocating to a neighbouring state for safety.
"As I am talking to you now, I am moving my family to another state, until when the situation improves.
"We are afraid of what could likely follow the search by the security men and possible clash with the gunmen.
"The Muslim community is just about celebrating sallah and it calls for peace but the situation in Potiskum as at now is not conducive for the celebration," he stated.
Another resident, Malam Mahmud Yahaya, said he had relocated his family to his village in Nangere Local Government Area.
"I only stayed back to look after our belongings because hoodlums may take advantage of our absence to break into the house," he said.
The Spokesman of the JTF, Lt. Eli Lazarus, in a recent statement assured the people that more troops would be deployed to provide security in the area.
He confirmed that 13 people were killed in the attack last week but made no mention of the casualty suffered by the JTF.
Meanwhile, the Yobe Government on Monday imposed a curfew on Potiskum, restricting movement from 4.00 p.m. to 7.00 a.m to check insecurity in the area.