Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.

 

Presidential Committee raises N11.35bn for flood victims

09 November 2012, 11:10

Abuja -  The Presidential Committee on Flood Relief and Rehabilitation on Thursday realised more than 11.35 billion in cash and promissory donations for victims of flood across the country.

The amount was realised at a Fund Raising Dinner presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan at the Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Aliko Dangote, a business mogul and one of the co-chairmen of the committee inaugurated by Jonathan Oct. 11,  anchored the ceremony.

Top on the list of donors at the event were Dangote and the Federal Government, who donated N2.5 billion each.

Dangote, however, said that from his N2.5 billion, 200 million had earlier been given to Kogi State Government and N150 million for the running of the Secretariat of the committee.

Arthur Eze, Tony Elumelu and Jim Ovia donated N1 million each and the Chief Fund Raiser, Mike Adenuga donated N500 million.

Anambra Gov Peter Obi also announced a donation of N1.8 billion on behalf of the state governors at the rate of , N15 million each.

Other who made donations were construction giants Julius Berger, Setraco, Dantata and Sawoe, RCC and other corporate organisations and spirited individuals.

Launching the event, the President appealed to Nigerians and the international community to donate generously to the course.

He recounted the ordeal of the victims during a tour of the affected states as ``tragedy that will melt the hardest of the heart’’.

The President noted that although the cause of the flood was still being assessed, the government had taken some  measures through the release of funds and relief materials.

Jonathan said that N9.7 billion had been released to the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development for the provision of food and seedlings, while N2.5 billion was released to the Ministry of Health for disease control.

In address address, Dangote also urged Nigerians to donate generously to assist the victims.

He said that the extent of damage caused by the devastating flood had overstressed the capacity of government, which necessitated the assistance of public spirited people.

The business mogul gave an assurance that every money collected would be used judiciously for the victims of the flood.

He said the committee would not touch a dime from the fund raised, as he had made N150 million available for the running of the secretariat of the committee.

He called on the telecommunications service providers to donate at least N1 from every sms to the victims.

NAN

NEXT ON NEWS24 NIGERIAX

Military claim to kill Boko Haram leader

22 September 2014, 12:21

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Jonathan please repossess the mil...

Nigerian will like to know why Federal land needed for the development of the Nigerian army was divided among these beneficiaries. Read more...

The Igbo naked dance for Jonathan

It really boggles one’s mind the degree to which Ndigbo appear to be excessively reveling in complacency over President Goodluck Jonathan’s disposition to Igbo interest.  Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Boko Haram sponsors: Terror has n...

People try to associate terror with religion. There is a desire to affiliate terror with religion. We feel comfortable designating terrorists within religious or tribal clusters.  Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Global Fundraiser as civilians ta...

We are calling on all good citizens across the world to support the mission if Nigerian civilian patriots against Boko Haram terrorists. Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Military commander who recaptured...

What has been exposed as top military sabotage of the so-called war against Boko Haram, has not yet ended in the military according to continuing reports from the battle front. Read more...

Submitted by
Ayk Fowosire
The rep that I want

These days where the mundane is hyped, and the mediocre is celebrated, it is just so easy to lose focus, to show off stupidity, and to profit from ignorance.  Read more...