Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.

 

Red Cross takes charge of abandoned baby

09 December 2012, 07:54

Onitsha - Dr Peter Katchy, Anambra Deputy Chairman of the Nigerian Red Cross, has confirmed that a baby girl that was abandoned in a tricycle on Friday in Onitsha is currently under the care of the organisation.

Katchy told newsmen on Saturday in Onitsha that the three-month-old baby had been taken to the Red Cross Motherless Babies Home in Ontisha. 

He said that a tricycle (Keke Napep) operator in Onitsha brought the case of the abandoned baby to the attention of the Red Cross on Friday

Katchy also said that a woman was at the Onitsha office of the Red Cross on Saturday laying claim to the baby.

"I directed those at the office to tell her to come with her husband and proof of ownership of the baby to Red Cross Headquarters in Awka and to go to Anambra Ministry of Women Affairs on Monday for investigation,’’ Katchy said.

An eyewitness quoted Samuel Nwigwe, a Keke Napep operator, as saying that he discovered the baby when he had closed work for the day and was relaxing over some bottles of beer with friends near Ochanja Park in Onitsha.

He said that at a point, Nwigwe suddenly peeped into his Keke Napep only to discover to his chagrin that a baby girl of about three months was lying inside a bag at the back of his tricycle.  

"He then called his friends and other passers-by, who thronged the scene to catch a glimpse of the abandoned baby girl. 

"After some hours of bewilderment as to who the owner of the baby could be and the reason for abandoning the baby, Nwigwe took her to the Red Cross Centre in Onitsha,’’ he said.

Benjamin Wordu, Police Area Commander for Onitsha, told newsmen via telephone that he was not aware of the incident as of the time of sending this report.

- NAN

Tags red cross
NEXT ON NEWS24 NIGERIAX

Military claim to kill Boko Haram leader

22 September 2014, 12:21

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Jonathan please repossess the mil...

Nigerian will like to know why Federal land needed for the development of the Nigerian army was divided among these beneficiaries. Read more...

The Igbo naked dance for Jonathan

It really boggles one’s mind the degree to which Ndigbo appear to be excessively reveling in complacency over President Goodluck Jonathan’s disposition to Igbo interest.  Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Boko Haram sponsors: Terror has n...

People try to associate terror with religion. There is a desire to affiliate terror with religion. We feel comfortable designating terrorists within religious or tribal clusters.  Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Global Fundraiser as civilians ta...

We are calling on all good citizens across the world to support the mission if Nigerian civilian patriots against Boko Haram terrorists. Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Military commander who recaptured...

What has been exposed as top military sabotage of the so-called war against Boko Haram, has not yet ended in the military according to continuing reports from the battle front. Read more...

Submitted by
Ayk Fowosire
The rep that I want

These days where the mundane is hyped, and the mediocre is celebrated, it is just so easy to lose focus, to show off stupidity, and to profit from ignorance.  Read more...