Abuja - The Department of State Security (DSS) on
Friday confirmed the arrested 12 suspected Boko Haram members in an
early morning raid at an uncompleted building in Abuja.
A statement issued by Marilyn Ogar, the spokesperson of the
department, said the suspects were arrested during a joint security
operation at about 3:00 in building located behind the Apo National
According to the statement, the operation followed information
obtained from two Boko Haram elements, Kamal Abdullahi and Mohammed
Adamu, who had earlier been arrested for terrorist activities.
"They led the security team to the uncompleted building where arms were purported to have been buried underground.
"No sooner had the team commenced digging for the arms than they
came under heavy gunfire attack by other Boko Haram elements within the
area,’’ the statement read.
The statement said that the security team responded immediately.
"As a result, some persons were injured while 12 others were
arrested in connection with the incident and are making useful
statements,’’ it said.
It said that normalcy had returned to the area, and urged the public
to go about their normal businesses as appropriate security measures had
been put in place to ensure safety.
The statement restated the need for Nigerians to be vigilant and to promptly report suspicious activities to security agencies.
It added that national security must remain the collective responsibility of all.