Sokoto - The Manager of Sultan Abubakar III International Airport, Sokoto, Alhaji Abubakar Buba has advised the Federal Government to revoke the contract for a new Hajj terminal at the airport.
Buba told newsmen in Sokoto on Thursday that the contract, awarded in 2012, had been bandoned.
"The project is virtually at ground zero level of execution as it was abandoned by the contractor just at the foundation level,'' he said.
According to him, the contractor had demobilized from the site since 2014.
He said the hajj terminal was necessary to ease the processing of pilgrims in line with global best practice.
"An ideal hajj terminal must have ambience and provide convenience and comfort for the prospective pilgrims and all these should not be compromised,'' he stated.
Also read: Hajj Commission announces 2015 Hajj fares
The airport manager said the Federal Ministry of Aviation had sent a team to assess the level of work done by the contractor.
He therefore urged the government to revoke the contract and award it to a more competent firm.
Buba further called for the urgent completion of the numerous projects at the airport to boost service efficiency.
He listed the projects to include perimeter fencing and road network to safeguard the airport facilities, construction of accommodation for security personnel and provision of street lights.
On power supply, the manager appealed to the Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company to link the airport to a dedicated power line to enhance supply.
"We are now using three standby generators, with 1100, 580 and 500 KVA capacities, respectively, to complement power supply to the airport.''