Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.

 

Suicide bombs kill 11 at church

26 November 2012, 07:29

Kaduna - Two suicide bombs on Sunday killed at least 11 people at a church in a barracks in Kaduna, where the Islamist sect Boko Haram is waging a campaign of violence, the military said.

Army spokesperson Bola Koleoso said a bus drove into the side of the St Andrew Military Protestant Church at the Jaji barracks and exploded about five minutes after a service had started.

At least 30 people were injured.

Explosives inside a car were detonated outside the church ten minutes later, he said.

A military source who witnessed the attack said the second bomb was the most deadly, killing people who went to help the injured from the first blast.

Witnesses said the barracks was cordoned off and ambulances carried the wounded to hospital.

There was no claim of responsibility but Islamist sect Boko Haram has frequently attacked the security forces and Christian churches in its fight to create an Islamic state in Nigeria.

A suicide bomber last month killed eight people and injured more than 100 at a church in another part of Kaduna state.

A bomb attack in a church in Kaduna state in June triggered a week of tit-for-tat violence that killed at least 90 people.

Information

Gunmen killed six people in a village in northern Kaduna state earlier this month.

The area was at the heart of post-election violence in April last year that left hundreds dead and thousands displaced.

Boko Haram's purported spokesperson Abu Qaqa, who used to confirm the sect's attacks in phone calls to journalists, was killed by the military in September, the army said.

Since then there has been little public communication by the group.

Nigeria's army on Saturday offered about $1.8m for information leading to the capture of 19 leading members of Boko Haram.

At least 2 800 people have died in fighting since Boko Haram's insurrection began in 2009, according to Human Rights Watch.

- Reuters

NEXT ON NEWS24 NIGERIAX

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Read more from our Users

Man is a product of his environme...

Our present status is the result of our collective failure to uphold ethical values bequeathed to us by our ancestors. Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Privatization of airports next: T...

The Nigerian people via the government have been forced to bailout the private sector Cabal billionaires who bought the PHCN with government subsidies and billions in government cash that has been donated to bailout the private PHCN.  Read more...

Submitted by
Akanbi Olayinka
The future of newspaper with the ...

The earliest forerunner of the mass media according to historical records is the print publishing (newspapers). Read more...

Submitted by
Prince Charles Dickson
Same game, same people, same diff...

The polity is as usual getting excited and heated up, the reason, simply the elections are few months away, and the usual suspects are at it. Read more...

Submitted by
George Chuks
The young Belgium PM

Charles Michael has inspired me to reach out to my fellow youths in the world, Africa and Nigeria. Read more...

We need peace now

Over the last few years, Nigeria has been experiencing one of its most unsettling moments with insecurity challenges across the country. Read more...