Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.

 

Toxic waste ship still detained in Lagos

12 January 2013, 19:43

Lagos - The ship, MV Marivia, arrested at the Tin-Can Island Port in Lagos on Wednesday with two containers of e-waste is still being detained, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.

An official of the Tin-Can Island Container Terminal, who preferred anonymity, told NAN on Saturday that the ship is still there and has not sailed out’. The source said that the ship had finished discharging other goods and was closely being guarded by security men.

The two offensive containers were laden with used electronics, including television sets, computers, central processing units (CPU), digital video recorders, microwaves, pressing irons and stereo sets. The 23,652 tonnage container ship which berthed on Wednesday arrived from Tilbury in London.

The authorities of Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), NESREA and the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) detained the vessel. The numbers of the two containers are: ECMU 9894510 and ECMU 9870858.

On Friday, Hajia Hadiza Mailafia, the Minister of Environment, told reporters in Abuja that the owners of the vessel had been fined one million dollars to serve as a deterrent. Mailafia said that the culprits involved in the intercepted vessel would face life imprisonment if convicted. Earlier, Dr Ngeri Benebo, the Director-General of National Environment Standards Regulatory Agency (NESREA), had told NAN that the containers would be sent back to the port of origin.

Benebo said the repatriation of the containers were in conformity with the provisions of the Harmful Wastes Act. "We are sending the e-wastes back to the port of origin,’’ the director-general said. She said that the agency’s action was guided by the provisions of the laws of Nigeria and warned that

"Nigeria would resist any attempt by any country to make the country a dumping ground.” The director-general said the suspected importers of the cargo were traced to Umezime Street, Alaba International Market, and arrested.

Meanwhile, a maritime expert, who did not want his name mentioned, said the security around the ship was expected. According to the expert, the security agencies will strive to avoid a repeat of the escape of the illegal bunkering ship MT African Pride from Nigerian waters in August 2004. NAN reports that this is not the first attempt to dump toxic wastes in Nigeria.

The first time was in 1988 when a shipment of over 3,500 tonnes of toxic wastes from Italy was dumped in Koko Port in Delta. In April 2010, the NCS arrested and detained a Maersk Line vessel, MV Nashiville, laden with toxic waste (lead batteries classified as Basel code A1180 and broken televisions. In June 2010, NCS also arrested and detained a ship, MV Gumel, in Lagos Port for bringing eight containers with materials suspected to be toxic waste. Also a vessel, MV Vera D, carrying three containers laden with toxic black and white television sets, was detained at the Tin-Can Port, Lagos, in October 2010.

The toxic-laden containers were sent back to the port of origin in the U.S. In December 2012, NESREA impounded four containers of used electronics described as `e-wastes’ in Apapa port.

- NAN

Tags nimasa lagos
NEXT ON NEWS24 NIGERIAX

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Dominic Kingsley
The root of corruption

The country's educational system has suffered many set backs in its quest to produce quality and independent enterprising students Read more...

Submitted by
Williams Albert
Change has come to stay!

Fellow Nigerians rejoice and be glad for the change we have been yearning for has come, this change will ensure light and substantial progress. But first, let me be ethical by saying thank you for your votes which you all casted for the 'General'. Read more...

Submitted by
Magnus G. Oku
Annual One Nigeria Festival

Preparations for the annual One Nigeria Festival commenced yesterday At Abuja as Stakeholders and committee members started plans ahead of the massive October event. Read more...

Submitted by
Justice Nwafor
President Jonathan bids Nigerians...

President Goodluck Jonathan, in an emotion laden voice bid farewell to Nigerians and thanked them for their support during His six year stay in office. Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Worst miilitary in Africa respond...

The only thing this army is good at is lying and killing sheikh Zakzaky’s innocent sons as they peacefully parade; raiding newspaper stands and burning BRT buses. Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
58% of Igbos voted for Buhari - P...

We conducted a post-election survey to determine the prevailing determinants in the recently concluded March 28th presidential elections. Read more...