Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Trial of alleged secessionists suffers setback

19 December 2014, 13:40

Enugu - The trial of 11 persons accused of plotting a secession suffered a setback at the Federal High Court in Enugu on Thursday as the trial judge, Justice D.V. Agishi, was absent.

The accused persons, who were arrested by the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Enugu, on June 4, were brought to court but were not docked as they were taken back to the prison due to the judge’s absence.

The counsel to the accused persons, Olu Omotayo,said that the matter could not hold because the trial judge travelled out of the state.

Omotayo said the case had been adjourned to February 9, 2015.

Also read: Biafran separatists in court over 'secession' bid

The accused include Benjamin Onwuka and Ndubisi Nnamshi, both of Enugu North Local Government Area and Kelvin Ekeh of Enugu East.

Others are Japhet Nwodo, Fidelis Nwosu, Paulinus Uzoegbu, Sunday Chukwuma, Uduma Uduma, Betrand Obiekwe, Abraham Ugwu and Samson Ijaga, all from Anambra State.

The accused persons, who were arraigned on a four-count charge, had pleaded not guilty to the charges on their first appearance in court.

According to the prosecution counsel, D.E. Kaswe, the accused persons conspired to hoist the outlawed Biafran and Israeli flags in Enugu and created the Biafra website.

Kaswe said they were in possession of dangerous weapons with the intent to capture the Enugu State Broadcasting Service to make a live broadcast of the secession of Biafra as a nation.

He added that Benjamin Onwuka, the leader of Biafra Zionist Federation, was the only one involved in the case of website creation with the intent to incite and solicit support from members of the public to intimidate President Goodluck Jonathan.


Tags biafra enugu

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...