Gombe - The Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen. Chris Olukolade, has confirmed that a bomb exploded at a Nigerian Army barracks in Gombe on Sunday.
Olukolade said that one soldier died while another was wounded by the explosion.
He however said normal activities had thereafter been ongoing at the barracks in Gombe where the incident occurred.
A suspected female suicide bomber also died when the bomb exploded at a military quarter-guard in Gombe.
The Public Relations Officer of the Gombe State Police Command, Fwaje Atahiri, a DSP, had earlier said that he heard of the incident but did not have details.
The female bomber, riding on a motorcycle and on approaching the quarter-guard of the 301 Battalion, hugged a soldier.
This had led to the bomb exploding, and killing both of them.
The source said the explosion also injured other soldiers at the quarter-guard, and they were quickly rushed to the military hospital for treatment.
Soldiers cordoned off the road leading to the barracks immediately after the explosion.
A resident of the area, who did not want his name mentioned, said he was in his house around 11.20 a.m. when he heard the blast.
He said he also heard soldiers shooting in the air, apparently to scare people.
The source said he saw some injured persons being conveyed in vehicles from the scene, while soldiers blocked the road and stopped people from going to the scene of the incident.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page.