Lagos - Occupants of the UBA Plaza in Lagos Island, which was razed in an early evening fire on Saturday, lost goods estimated at over N1.2 billion in the incident.
Greg Azubuogu, Chairman of the Plaza, who spoke on behalf of its occupants, disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Lagos.
He said that the five-storey building on Breadfruit Street, Lagos Island, housed a branch of the United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc, warehouses, shops and offices.
Azubuogu, who owns a shop in the plaza, told NAN that the fire may have been caused by a spark from electrical wires in the building.
"I think that it is an electrical spark that caused the fire because Saturday was a weekend and a holiday.
"We take preventive measures whenever we are closing for the day at the plaza.
"We normally switch off the control switch, but the fire started from the warehouse on the fourth floor.
"It is like the cartons in the warehouse aided the spark, as well as the spread of the fire,” he said.
Azubuogu recalled that the fire was noticed at about 4 p.m., noting that before any aid could come, it had spread to other parts of the plaza.
The chairman, who sells shoes and bags in the plaza, said he lost about N15 million in the incident.
He appealed to the Lagos State Government to come to their aid.
NAN reports that as at Sunday evening, policemen and officials of other security agencies were still trying to prevent hoodlums from looting some wares salvaged from the plaza.